Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The winters in Chicago!

So I thought growing up in the Hole would have prepared me better for the inclimate weather in Chicago during the winter...but I was sorely mistaken! Sure it gets cold in Jackson...in fact it gets really cold there...but at least there is no wind. And at least they are aware of how to actually remove the snow that they do get. Here in Chi-town it's every man for themselves when it comes to walking on the sidewalks. There is no care taken for pedestirans and mass transit users...which ironically is more than half of the city. There are PILES of muddy frozen icy snow piled all along the streets. When I get off the bus I have to walk up a 3 foot hill and then down the other side all the while trying to keep my balance with the wind doing it's damndest to blow me over. Then to compound the situation there is a line of anxious bus travelers behind me trying to push their way off the bus so they can get to work on time...it's a lethal mix. And as far as the wind is concerned...HOLY CRAP!!! It was 20 degrees outside the other day...which most people (especially anyone who's lived in Jackson) would say is no big deal...but then you throw the wind into the mix and you're facing temperatures of -30 to -45 degrees with the wind chill. There are actually wind weather advisory warnings saying that cover all exposed skin to avoid severe damage! It's quite intense to say the least. And my understanding is that it gradually gets worse and worse each month until February when it peaks at the most horrific...and then all of a sudden one day the weather starts to turn for the better. I can't wait for March! But on the bright side...Mark and I are getting a lot of cuddle-time on the couch together watching movies and drinking hot cocoa (cold beer for my husband). So I won't complain anymore!

1 comment:

B&CWoodward said...

Hey, it was great talking with you yesterday. The weather here has been very snowy - 3-4 feet of snow in the front yard in the past week. So crazy. Stay bundled up and keep warm. We love you. Mom